View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fatalism 
Administrator

Post Fatalism • Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:09 pm
I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it, although I probably have (and will later on, except its expressed in my Fan Fiction) but one could say I fit in the category of a Fatalist.

In case you don't know what Fatalism is, here, from Wikipedia, are the basics of what it takes to call yourself a Fatalist, someone who believes fate governs everything.

Fatalism generally refers to several of the following ideas:

1. That free will does not exist, meaning therefore that history has progressed in the only manner possible. This belief is very similar to determinism.
2. That actions are free, but nevertheless work toward an inevitable end. This belief is very similar to compatibilist predestination.
3. That acceptance is appropriate, rather than resistance against inevitability. This belief is very similar to defeatism.

I follow nicely along with this 'definition' except for parts of the third one, I'm not all generally accepting, though I am not such enough to try and do anything about it. I begrudgingly accept things after a long time of brooding and really, it what keeps me sane after many years of thought, I guess.

I felt it adequate for us to discuss things about fate, whether or not you belief in it or not. I take fate as something very real where there was only ever one possibility since the beginning of time and to mettle with it will give you nothing but a bigger problem. It lets me just sit down and say that it was 'fate' for something to happen, especially in the defeatist manner.

When you contemplate fate and then say it's something extremely stupid/strange you'll suddenly be flooded with many confusing things about the world you see and all the different outcomes possible. ;P

Discuss.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Fatalism has interested me for a while, although I find the concept of "neo-fatalism" a bit easier to understand and accept as being quite possible.

It used to have its own Wikipedia article, I'm not sure if it does any more. Nevertheless:

Neo-Fatalism argues that free-will is an illusion, because a person's behaviour is completely shaped by their personality which, in turn, is shaped by their previous experiences and their biology. Due to the interactions with the world around us our personalities are ever-evolving, as we are exposed to new experiences. However, the neo-fatalist view is that those new experiences are themselves an inevitable consequence of our earlier personalities.

As a consequence, Neo-Fatalism makes the claim that from the very beginning of time, all that has unfolded has been inevitable. As such, from the very moment the Big Bang sparked our universe into being, it was inevitable that humankind would do everything which it has done. Our courses in life are pre-determined, because our original biology and subsequent experiences result in there only being one path which we can follow.

Nevertheless, this philosophy acknowledges that, in any given situation, there are a multitude of different paths we may follow: however, it states that there is only one of those paths that a person could possibly take.

It should also be noted that, while Neo-Fatalism is similar to the idea of Fate, it has an important difference. Believers in fate will usually argue that whatever course of action is taken by a person, the end result will be the same, because it is pre-ordained. Neo-fatalism, on the other hand argues that it is the choice of action that is inevitable, and hence the outcome is also. For example, a fatalist might claim that, if a person was ill and was fated to get better, he would get better whether he called a doctor or not. The philosophy of Neo-Fatalism, however, would claim that it is unavoidable for the person to get better, because they will call the doctor who will treat them.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:31 pm
Ah, well, certainly an interesting topic, and it appears that I too fit into the category of a fatalist, though mostly on the second of your options there. I believe free will exists as more than just an illusion, but also believe that there are some things in life predetermined; building on this, I believe your actions, for good or bad, *may* have an effect on your fate, but the concept of Karma is a discussion for another time.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]