View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology 
Sheikah Elder

Post Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:36 pm
I was reading a book on Greek Mythology, and I noticed a similiarity to some of Christianity's Mythology.

In Greek Mythology there is Orpheus, who is gifted beyond belief with his instruments. Wherever he goes to play music, the birds sing, creatures come out and listen, and there is always the same woman watching. the woman confesses her love, and they get married. They are happy for one year and one day. People get curious, as to why Orpheus no longer plays his beautiful music for all of the world to hear. One day a man goes to find the "witch" whom captured Orpheus. She is bathing (or something of the sort), and gets scared of the man following her. She runs. He chases. She steps onto a bed of snakes. BAM. Dead. Orpheus gets pissed, goes down to the underworld and gives Hades the finger. Heres an excerpt from the dialog

Conversation wrote:
Orpheus: Can I have my wife?
Hades: No. Not gonna happen.
Orpheus: I play good music
Hades: GAH. You got me.
Orpheus: Alright sweet, later.
Hades: Okay.... OH WAIT. Yeah, if you look back any one time during the journey back, she will be taken away and brought here again.

Orpheus notices that she's a lot more light footed during the journey. He hasn't seen her yet, though he has her by the hand. His curiousity gets the best of him. He looks back, bam. Turned into smoke. Back in the underworld. Bummer.

Now in Christian Mythology, Sodom and Gomorroh are going to be destroyed. Abraham (Or someone of the sort), come and tell Lott that he needs to get out of there as quick as he can. Don't look back at all. Lot's wife gets curious looks back. Bam. Pillar of Salt...

Just found the similarity odd.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 pm
interesting similarities but only in one or two spots i wouldn't of noticed it

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:56 pm
Well there's a lot of overall similiarities, but I don't have the time nor patience to explain them.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 pm
I'm a Christian :O and i know Lotts story fairly well so i can see similarities of it on a whole but i don't think its two civilizations interpretations of the same thing though i could be wrong

the Bible has the oldest recording of any book and the Greeks didn't in general record their stories rather than have them go by word of mouth so that could of changed it but i dunno there's probably some study of it somewhere that has a more in depth look at it
hmmm

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:24 pm
Uh... I'm pretty sure that genesis came before greek mithology... as it was written by moses... :P

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 pm
i didn't say anything contradicting to that i said the Greek story was after the Biblical event and was possibly based off it 0_o

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 pm
I actually did an assignment in Grade...10, I believe, about the common traits all cultures share in their myths. Mine was centred around Greek and Norse myth, but I can certainly believe in commonalities between Greek and Judeo-Christian myth.

A great many myths share similar aspects and themes. The descent to the underworld, not turning back; all are found in other myth. Similarities of creation and views on death are another common trait. It's the subtle differences that can determine cultural boundaries. One I always enjoyed was the fact that out of all the common pantheons, the only one that features more or less vulnerable, mortal gods to non-supernatural means is that of the Norse (i.e. Scandinavians, Vikings). In most other cultures, their gods can be at most weakened, but only the Norse, a warlike race of individuals, have deities who fear death.

Another interesting note I found was that Zetsuboubirri is probably right. Most scholars today believe that Orpheus' quest for Eurydice and his loss of her to turning back was added in long after the original myths, within the first century BCE. It's likely taken from paintings depicting another myth, of Orpheus going to Tartarus to seduce Hekate. So it is possible that Virgil (who is the first individual to record the now-popular version) could have based it off of Jewish tales of the fall of Sodom (Virgil, being a Roman of the era in which Rome occupied Judea, would have access to the Jewish people).

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:35 pm
people interested in this topic might like to look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodom_and_ ... istoricity

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:10 pm
Zetsuboubirri wrote:
i didn't say anything contradicting to that i said the Greek story was after the Biblical event and was possibly based off it 0_o

I know... that's what i was saying :P

My comment was directed at the first post....

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Greek Mythology and Christian Mythology • Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:20 am
OOOOOH 0_o sorry

Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]