View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Philosophy Thread 
Hylian Squire

Post The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Discuss Philosophical musings here.

How can I prove that you are not puppets being controlled by a malicious demon to screw with me?

The Doctor: The writing... the graffiti: Old High Gallifreyan. The lost language of the Time Lords. There were days, there were many days, where these words could burn stars, raise up empires, and topple gods.
Amy: What does it say?
The Doctor: "Hello sweetie".

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:44 pm
Hmmm, an excellant question! However I don't think you'll be very fond of the answer because, you see, just about everyone on this forum IS a puppet controlled by a malicious demon. Does that answer your question adequately?

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 pm
Yes. A better question is: how do I know that other people that I see every day are not controlled by a malicious demon?

The Doctor: The writing... the graffiti: Old High Gallifreyan. The lost language of the Time Lords. There were days, there were many days, where these words could burn stars, raise up empires, and topple gods.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 pm
You can try an ancient devil-testing/purging method. Breakdancing usually does the trick.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:26 pm
*Shudder* I'll stick with possessed people, thanks.

Administrator

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 pm
I believe what you guys are getting at (also note that one sentence reponses are generally frowned upon in the SSB) is known as Solipsism, Wikipedia will give you a quick rundown if you so desire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsist

I've given it the thought a few years ago, but that was just general paranoia which I got over rather quickly. Though the idea is both pleasing and, for lack of a better term, lonely. But who knows, maybe there is one true Solipsist somewhere and we're all just subconscious avatars they whipped up when they were 'sleeping' ;P

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 am
thats a bit freaky. What kind of freak would think that there mind was the only one that existed. A concieted one, thats what kind.

The idea is fascinating, ZE. It really opens my mind. Or maybe its this bag of grass that I rolled up with paper, tripped over a fire, and then had a strange urge to inhale on.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:28 am
I've often though that the universe exists many times for every person and all the people in each universe ar auto matons that behave just like their person in annother universe. This renders the whole thing completely pointless but it's a bit of a trip to think about.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 am
Sir.Link, it's not conceited. It is only a viewpoint that says that I cannot prove that any other mind is actually there and functioning similar to mine. For example, you could be just a bot created by a program created by a programmer, as there is no way to prove there is a person actually sitting there typing. An analogy is a puppet show. If a puppet was to gain conciousness and freedom from the puppet master, he would most likely be unable to tell that he is in a puppet show. This represents most people. No matter what the puppet does, he cannot prove that the other puppets are acting out of their own free will, as it is the puppet master controlling them.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 am
Either way, this topic IS getting pretty creepy. The only ways to figure it out are probably to dissect the person ( ;P ), ask them if they're puppets ( :think: ), or breakdance ( 8D ).

I personally wouldn't do any of those. Except maybe the breakdancing. But yeah, you could be the only person in the universe with your own mind. Pretty creepy line of thought we have going in this thread, huh? :o

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:45 pm
Not creepy, just paranoid. Another question: what is it like to be a bat? We might know how we would behave, but what would it feel like? What would it feel like to utilize echolocation?

Administrator

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm
The Doctor wrote:
What would it feel like to utilize echolocation?

Why not ask the people who do?

Number 4: http://www.cracked.com/article/114_5-su ... -from-you/
Number 6: http://www.cracked.com/article_16449_7- ... owers.html

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm
Quite different I imagine. Try closing your eyes and just listening. I think that's a small piece of what it feels like.

Zora Guard

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:28 am
I think much of the raw information of sound would be processed automatically, similarly to how your brain processes the information from your eyes to create the image of your surroundings.

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:00 am
True, but actually having echolocation would be a surreal experience and most certainly not describable by humans, as we actually cannot hear the sounds that are used.

Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next