View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Video game Addiction gone too far? 
Hylian Squire

Post Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 am
Im not sure how far this story has spread, but if you have nothing better to do for the next few min, you could take a look at this article about a Korean couple who neglected their baby daughter for a virtual world. Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-03-05/world/korea.baby.starved_1_online-addiction-virtual-world-online-game?_s=PM:WORLD

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:06 am
o.O that is CRAZY

Who would do that?
This is definitely a case gone to far, caws I know for sure I wouldn't do that, no mater how addicted I was to gaming.

And I am pretty addicted :P

In all seriousness, I suppose, they had it off a lot worse than me, you, or anyone else on the Underwoods.
That being said, I think its safe to say that depending on circumstance, you can be a lot more addicted to a game. In their case, life was SO BAD, that they really got into that world.

I feel bad for that child, and those people.
I know everyone will probably say something like "those are horrible parents" and that's definitely true, but maybe they were mentally ill, if you believe in that phrase.

To finish, I guess gaming can be considered "addictive" but its up to the Player to play the Game the right way. Obviously, one should live their life well enough, so that they can spend optimum amount of time playing :D :D :D :D :D

GROUP HUG EVERYONE! :grouphug:

Administrator

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:34 am
Video games can certainly become addicting, or at least that's what you hear quite often. Many news stories that I've heard mention how playing video games and succeeding in something within that virtual outlet stimulates the brain's sense of accomplishment, which of course gives you satisfaction. Who wouldn't enjoy spending hours and hours in an RPG to finally level up after a lot of hard work grinding, or who doesn't love it when they finally defeat that boss or solve that puzzle that hs given them a hard time for so long?

I can definitely vouch that doing such things is a great experience, even though it isn't 'real' accomplishment. Devoting your time to those sorts of activities have been viewed as wasteful, but the gamers can't seem to find the problem with it. I haven't experienced any sort of 'addiction' to video games, usually I've reduced myself to only playing them when I'm substantially bored or I have a new game I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I know people who aren't close or already addicted to them.

Cases like this one and others, such as a Korean playing Starcraft to death as I'm sure everyone is familiar with, should certainly be considered evidence that addiction to Video games is a harsh reality. But at least it is no where near as widespread as other more dangerous addictions. Keeping it at that level is something that shouldn't be too difficult, but companies truly need to hook players to purchase their games.

And that just brings up a whole other issue of if Video Game companies truly have it in mind to hopelessly cause their players to fall into an addiction. That wouldn't be very nice, would it?

Another interesting read: What makes Video Games so addicting?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am
For some, especially those with Attention Deficit Disorders (ADD or ADHD), video games' fast-paced action and focus requirements are the only sort of thing that helps them focus.

However, another case that is beginning to emerge is that the video games themselves are causing ADHD-like symptoms. People who play video games alot become very alert, and very very responsive to external stimuli as a result of twitch-based games such as First-Person Shooters. In a sense, because their real lives fail to offer a sufficient amount of stimulation at any given time as compared to the video games they play, these people become bored easily, and lose focus.

Another thing about video games is as ZE has mentioned, that sense of accomplishment is one, but also, your brain may also be roused into producing an adrenaline rush off of video games, depending on what you're playing. A virtual high, if you will.

For others, there's always the sense of escape. To not have to deal with the real word problems and rather, deal with 'solvable' problems in a game.

South Korea is a special case though. Those guys can just be crazy. 2-3 days straight, non-stop, no sleep. SC may be a sport in their country, but not everyone can become a star athlete.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 am
Cases like this one and others, such as a Korean playing Starcraft to death as I'm sure everyone is familiar with

:P

This is just another reason why Starcraft sucks bung.

You guys both have good statements.

I agree with both of you, and I can't see anyone I know being that addicted.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:01 pm
TemjinZero wrote:
For some, especially those with Attention Deficit Disorders (ADD or ADHD), video games' fast-paced action and focus requirements are the only sort of thing that helps them focus.

However, another case that is beginning to emerge is that the video games themselves are causing ADHD-like symptoms. People who play video games alot become very alert, and very very responsive to external stimuli as a result of twitch-based games such as First-Person Shooters. In a sense, because their real lives fail to offer a sufficient amount of stimulation at any given time as compared to the video games they play, these people become bored easily, and lose focus.

This is quite true, Aaron. I've watched my little brother, who is diagnosed with ADD, play various games for hours on ends, doing various things he'd never do in real life. He's very responsive, and he can pick up on a lot of things easily, especially after a session of MW2 with his clan members. I myself however, have been induced into ADD-like symptoms, where I tend to not do things fully, and am currently trying to regain my lost focus after becoming bored with various tasks. (Q.E.D. I take time off of gaming to get stuff done)

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:28 pm
What we need now are video games of an educational nature. Companies have proven that they can do that.

Encarta always had that maze like game that had lots of trivia, and I loved playing it. Puzzle Quest isn't bad for developing visual recognition and quick-thinking/problem solving skills. Bookworm adventures is one of the best ways to focus on vocabulary. Lest we not forget, Number Munchers still wins hard. :D

It would be nice to see a more academic spin on games. Then again... our society could become addicted, and you'd need game programmers to turn entire careers into games... which may not bode well for... surgeons. Trauma Center... as fun as it is... well... I fear doctors who say they've played Trauma Center before.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Video game Addiction gone too far? • Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:12 pm
That's completley crazy. Video games are fun and all, but you can't just play them hoping to escape real-life. I'm kind-of addicted to video games but not that much. If they knew that they couldn't handle the baby, they shouldn't have had one.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]