View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 DL's Awesome New Rig 
Administrator

Post DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:39 pm
Came home from school today, relieved to find out the UPS guy hadn't stopped by yet. An hour and a half later, he arrives with seven boxes of awesome. Naturally, I started opening immediately.

Before I begin, I should mention that I bought my Corsair H50 Cooling System, Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard, and Intel Core-i7 950 (3.06 Ghz, quad) beforehand at Micro Center. Thanks to Aka for pointing out the store to me.

Box #1
This box was the most obvious, because rather than being in a Newegg box it was in the original NZXT LEXA S box.

Box #2
Weighing in at freaking heavy compared to the other boxes, this was the obvious choice for number 2. I made the comment to technophobia that it felt like Christmas with all of these unmarked boxes. Inside this monster box was a pair of Radeon 5770s, a CrossfireX bridge, my Corsair 850W PSU, six gigs of G Skill DDR3 1600 RAM, and a 500 gig hard drive from Western Digital. Oh, and some thermal compound along with a full version of Windows 7 64-bit. All in this box.

Box #3
Immediately looking inside at all the bubble-wrap, my immediate instinct was "motherboard." I was wrong, however; it was my beautiful new Logitech sound system.

Box #4
This one was labelled "Qty-10-IDE" on the outside, but I couldn't remember what it was. It turned out to be two more speakers I didn't even order. Profit.

Box #5
Process: open box, read included paxking slip, find out it's my CD drive.

Box #6
I opened this box, and to my horror, I saw...

Packing peanuts.

Thousands of them.

My hands plunged into the depths, searching for something, anything that indicated there was more. Near the bottom, the landed gently upon a plastic wrapped box. Plastic wrapped boxes feel surprisingly like metal when they're cold. It was my motherboard, my beautiful EVGA X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Box #7
At last, the final box. There could be only one thing in it, my tiny network card, but this box was more than a cubic foot in size. Something had to be wrong..

Inside the box was another box. Inside that, bubble wrap, wrapped around two flat trays bound together by some annoying shoe-lace-like plastic. After removing it, I found out that this unnecessarily-large box did indeed contain merely my internet chip.

TL;DR
-NZXT LEXA S case
-EVGA mobo with lots of awesome.
-Intel Core i7 (3.06 quad)
-G.Skill 6 gigs DDR3 1600 RAM
-Western Digital HDD; 500 gig; 7200 RPM; 64MB cache
-Ati Radeon 5770 (x2)
-Corsair 850W PSU
-Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling
-Logitech G110 Keyboard
-Logitech stereo speakers with subwoofer

Missing two Acer 21.5" monitors and a USB Cup Warmer because I'm too broke to afford them right now. Will post pics once I have these.

Price tag for full rig: $1800 USD before mail-in rebates totaling $70.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Squire

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:45 pm
MAN! YOU MADE THAT SO EPIC! Well good luck getting the money! :up:

Administrator

Post Re: Deku Lord's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 pm
Oh yes, I certainly remember your excitement ever since you first ordered it. Especially your laments about not having your Cup Warmer yet xD. That's pretty epic DL, I can't wait to see the full rig... and then cry about it because I have a sad little machine in comparison and definitely don't have the money to improve upon it :p.

Also... 21.5" monitors? 150 dollars a piece? D:. I should invest in you or something and hope you get famous so that I can have whoppingly large screens xP

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm
I can't wait to talk to him tomorrow and see how much trouble he had putting it together.

Especially since he didn't mention a few really important cables arriving.

EDIT: Turns out, he had the cables after a recent excursion to MicroCenter, and is almost done with the assembly.

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. ~Robert X. Cringely

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 pm
You do realize that the "Post your rig" thread exists for this.

Also, epic rig is epic. Can't wait for pix.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Administrator

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm
Update:
-Acquired cup warmer, although it's a cheaper, better one.
-I will have one of these until I can secure a desk with a large enough space to hold more than one monitor.
-I have pics.

Exterior:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w282 ... G_0737.jpg

Interior:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w282 ... G_0738.jpg

My command centre:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w282 ... G_0741.jpg

The paint colour was selected when I was rather young, don't judge me. :P
I was going to label the picture, but I figure y'all are intelligent enough to figure out what most of that stuff is. ;P

~Samuel Clemens

Zora Guard

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:22 pm
I did want to ask... a cup warmer? I guess I just prefer cool drinks over warm ones.

I would have gotten a cup cooler... though... I don't have any spare USB ports anymore... so many things connected.

EDIT: Great cable management by the way.

I can also see why you want new monitors. MY GAWD. No offense, but dayum... You need new monitors.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 am
Velly nice. I'm envious on your case lol. Looks really nice.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Zora Guard

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 am
How's about this 'case design and layout', LiD?

http://gizmodo.com/5690253/when-your-be ... ional-help

XD

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:36 pm
TemjinZero wrote:
How's about this 'case design and layout', LiD?

http://gizmodo.com/5690253/when-your-be ... ional-help

XD

WHOLLY MOTHER OF ****IN **** AND ALL THAT IS ***** CRAZY **** TRAFFIC CONE ***** AND ***** SNAKE. That's awesome.

Administrator

Post Re: DL's Awesome New Rig • Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 pm
Half the assembly time was managing those cables. If the main power was a bit longer, that could have been managed, too.

Also, I like to calm down with nice, warm beverages, like cider and hot cocoa. ;P

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]