View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Video Games/ Girls 
Hylian Squire

Post Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:09 am
Let it be known I'm a girl. Not the fat, ugly, nerdy kind who guys seem to invision, but a regular teen girl. Like Other girls I care about fashion, my hair, etc. I don't label myself but I am not a girly girl or a tomboy. I am a perfect blend

Now I know this is just another boring rant to you guys but I have a POINT! Ok so I am at Gsmestop and I'm wearing a cute, girly top. I'm standing next to all these guys in line just smirking like "oh well have fun with 'Barbie Horseriding Adventure'. And then I purchase Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime, X-man and I think Final Fantasy. And of course the clerk is like " oh is this for your boyfriend." And the usual awkward silence. I am so sick of this. At least people are making am attempt to market to girls, but really? Girls who play Barbie, High School Musical, and Cheerleading games are NOT gamers so why try?

Sometimes I feel like the only girl in the world who knows a videogame when she sees one. ( and girls who play 1st person shooters piss me off too) Whooooo had to let off some steam but there you go.

Comments? 

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:31 am
On behalf of all men, let me say this.

Guys are idiots.

That's not a generalization, it's a true fact.

With THAT out of the way, I'd like to say that I live a lifestyle that let's me meet and interact with MANY videogame savvy girls, and let me tell you, I respect the lot of 'em. Some of them are better gamers then me.

But of course you knew that....but let me tell you this....there are guys in this world who are sexist. Now that MAY come a surprise to you, but hear me out. What do you do when you come across a person like this? You act like it doesn't matter to you. In fact, joke along with 'em. When they realize you don't give a crap about their abuse, then they'll shut up and get back to their wondering of why they don't have girlfriends...:P

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Yes, take it from BX and me, guys are idiot sexists that believe games are seperated by some gender boundary (but we're not one of em :P ). I believe that those barbie games and whatnot are meant for younger casual players, and the core games such as zelda are meant for the more core players.

Although I really can't believe that those guys at Gamestop actually said that to you. Seems like what they would think but not say out loud to your face, but hey, I wasn't there. :P

And what you say about girls who play FPSs pisses you off applies to me as well. It seems like every single girl at my school that is not a gamer only plays Call of Duty: Black Ops, probably due to the fact that it's the only game their boyfriends play. While not all FPSs are bad (i see you play metroid prime), this really has become a bad case.

It was nice for you to share your feelings with us. I hope this whole gender issue wanes out in the future.

:wave:

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 pm
I think may be more of a problem in the Americas than here, I've heard the idiot guy who thinks girls don't play video games stereotype loads of times but I've never come across it in real life and I do know a lot of girls who play Video games.
I find there's a lot less class and role stereotyping in Australia, so it really does get to me when I see that there actually are people who can be so ignorant.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:44 pm
Howdy Rebecca. Always good to see new faces around here. I think it is absolutely wonderful that you don't neglect your appearance as the stigma seems to be with gamers. I too am interested in less 'geeky' things like being fashionable and looking absolutely rocking, so I of all people understand your position... I only have one comment to make about what you said...

Both me and my sister play a fair stock of those girly games, Barbie and so on. Now, I personally think that it might be a bit premature to say that people who only play those games aren't gamers. See, the only thing I can see that really distinguishes between these 'girly' games and 'real' games is subject matter. Yes, true, a lot of the girlier games don't have the interesting gameplay mechanics that other games have, but they also forgo a lot of the violence and darker tones as well. Perhaps some girls playing these games are simply averse to the themes that come with most 'real' games and instead wait stoically for Barbie's Massively Multiplayer Online Horse Riding Epic... I guess until then, we'll be left with girls who want to be a part of the gaming experience but are simply given nothing to work with.

Once again, welcome to the Underwoods Rebecca. :)

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:57 am
This is why I just send my brother out to buy games or order them off Amazon. Toooooo many weird looks, and I figure, hey, if I can get my brother to buy it then I've no need to purchase a copy myself. I'm a uni student, what, you think I have money? ;P

But, actually, I'm a little annoyed here. And not with the guys...ummm, there are plenty of chicks who play games and aren't some weirdie person. A lot of girls play Zelda...and I mean, a lot, and several aren't the stereotype. Several probably just let their brothers (or someone else) buy the games due, yes, to average stereotyping. But remember, you're not the only normal girl that plays video games and, though I understand your points, I almost feel you assumed you must be the only one in existence...but though uniqueness is true, usually characteristics aren't. ;P

(Sorry if this seems grumpy or mean, it's been a rather long semester.)

And lookit! AUSTRALIAN COWBOY! *points at LiB* :p

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:41 pm
Ninja Rebecca wrote:
And then I purchase Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime, X-man and I think Final Fantasy.

Words cannot begin to express how awesome this is.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 pm
masterbx wrote:
Guys are idiots. That's not a generalization, it's a true fact.

What do you mean by that? If you're trying to make me feel better about myself, it's not working.

I don't get how only guys can play Zelda. I've met a ton of girls that play Zelda. But it is a Gamestop person, and Gamestop isn't reliable all the time (Skyward Sword releases for one thing). Besides, if that happens to you, then you can just play along or say no.

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 pm
That's pretty freakin' sweet

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:15 am
I'm a female, and I'm fine with buying games at Gamestop myself. I've never been laughed at, either. And if I were to be laughed at, I'd tell them to just stop being freaking sexist and learn that there are many girls who play video games. I play video games all the time, and I have many female friends who play them, too. It's not just a guy thing, and I hate it when people think that. First of all, I think all the females on this site is proof enough that females love games, too. If not, go to a freakin' anime convention. A lot of females cosplay as game characters, and there was even a gaming room at the one I went to and tons of girls were playing games. Also, I'm glad to see that none of the guys on this forum is sexist. It's a great thing to see.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:50 am
I've never really gotten any weird looks. It's easy to walk into wal-mart and buy SSBB, Space Battles Pew Pew Pew: Force Unleashed, and Twilight princess. Of course, it's actually very probable I simply don't notice, but I've never seen any really freaked out people. Well, other than my sister and mom, who groan every time I buy a new game.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 pm
Hmmm.....Intrigue has washed over my mind.....Ninja Rebecca, perhaps California is just full of overly sexist guys? I mean, a state with about 10 times the population of Canada would most likely have 10 times the amount of sexists....:P Just sayin'...

Administrator

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:24 pm
Well, a lot of stereotypes exist for a lot of things, obvious I know. Girls and video games being on par as Superman's love of Krytonite, is still one people are struggling to let go of as of late. I know plenty of girl gamers, as well as growing up with a few, so I've never had the issue of thinking none existed :p. It may be true that guys dominate a large part of the market, or at least the market we find ourselves in now (adrenaline rush, FPS games, scantily clad women, etc.), but it is rather demeaning that most of the focus on female gamers is that they only enjoy pink, cuddly, hold-your-hand, games.

It's because of these marketing schemes that, say, if I went in and bought something like Nintendogs, a game marketed mostly to children AND female gamers, I'd receive the same 'wtf' look from the cashier as a girl buying Mortal Kombat might get. It's a shame that it's this way a lot of the time, but at least now, through Cons, gaming sites, and even those hired at game stores, it's becoming more prevalent the fact that girls are gamers, and not just 'unattractive ones'. Heck, guy gamers are often still associated with being 'super nerds' who are anti-social, unattractive, and generally obnoxious.

Yet, like you've shown, NR, as long as people keep pushing to get rid of those judgmental stares at game stores, someday they WILL go away.

That's when I strike and buy Nintendogs. :P

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:11 pm
I would just like to say that my cousins (who are girls) were the first to introduce me to The Legend of Zelda series. And this was when Majora's Mask first came along.

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm
RupeeLord wrote:
I would just like to say that my cousins (who are girls) were the first to introduce me to The Legend of Zelda series. And this was when Majora's Mask first came along.

Heh, some of my first memories of playing an NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and N64 were at my cousins(who were girls) house.

"I used to be able to input a cheat code, now I've got to enter a credit card"
-John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

"If 'something that is utterly incomprehensible' starts getting popular, doubt your generation. Consider that something may be very wrong."
-Kaiki Deishuu

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next