Loading...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm



Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 [Island Forge] Player-Created MMORPG * Now Free-to-Play! 
Author Message
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post [Island Forge] Player-Created MMORPG * Now Free-to-Play! • Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Hello, I'm Nathan, the sole developer of Island Forge, an indie MMORPG that's all about Player-Created Content. I think the members of The Forbidden Underwoods would be interested in the storytelling and creative aspects of Island Forge.

Announcement: Island Forge is now Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

This update is prompted by community input and the success of my recent Kickstarter project. Thank you for your interest in Island Forge. As always, community input is most welcome!

Find Island Forge on Facebook and Twitter.

Island Forge: A World of Player-Created Content. Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore. The Brand-New Old-School MMORPG.

Image Image

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Last edited by Nyhm on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.



Profile WWW
Hylian Knight
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 2474
Location: TIME WIZARD LAND!
Gender: Male
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm
It's perfectly fine to post this here. But as this is your ONLY post it comes off pretty shameful to me. Perhaps if you yourself stick around for about a month, maybe I'll consider looking more closely at your game. But for now, I suggest you make a welcome topic here:

http://explodingdekunut.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2.


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm
Thanks, BeeX. I entirely agree with you. You have my apologies for my crass entrance to the community. I read all the intro stuff, and understand the problem of board spam, so I decided not to post elsewhere. I'll post a belated introduction... (posted here)

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Last edited by Nyhm on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Profile WWW
Hylian Knight
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 2474
Location: TIME WIZARD LAND!
Gender: Male
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:16 pm
That's all I ask. You seem like a nice fellow. I may try out your MMO sooner then expected.


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:30 pm
BeeX wrote:
That's all I ask. You seem like a nice fellow. I may try out your MMO sooner then expected.


Why thank you. I intend no disrespect. On the contrary, I'm all about community and player-created content.

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 am
That's pretty interesting. Are you doing the coding yourself, or are you simply using an engine?

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 am
Nean wrote:
That's pretty interesting. Are you doing the coding yourself, or are you simply using an engine?


I'm glad you find it interesting! I coded everything myself (client, server, database, networking, GUI, rendering). The graphics are mostly licensed, as I am not an artist.

I decided to write it all myself because my goals were rather unique. My motivation is to provide the "framework" for a world for which players can create their own content (islands with stories and quests). By writing the software, I could make the entire experience as unified as possible for players to create islands and publish them to the world for others to explore. The island builder tool is built into the game client.

I hope folks here will enjoy the creative angle of island building. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am
Nyhm wrote:
Nean wrote:
That's pretty interesting. Are you doing the coding yourself, or are you simply using an engine?


I'm glad you find it interesting! I coded everything myself (client, server, database, networking, GUI, rendering). The graphics are mostly licensed, as I am not an artist.

I decided to write it all myself because my goals were rather unique. My motivation is to provide the "framework" for a world for which players can create their own content (islands with stories and quests). By writing the software, I could make the entire experience as unified as possible for players to create islands and publish them to the world for others to explore. The island builder tool is built into the game client.

I hope folks here will enjoy the creative angle of island building. Please try it out and let me know what you think.


That's awesome! I'm a bit of a game developer myself, really. What language did you use to program it? I'm assuming something along the lines of Java, or one of the C derivatives? I had assumed you did it yourself, as engines generally don't provide that type of flexibility. I'll definitely have to check this out.

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 pm
Nean wrote:
That's awesome! I'm a bit of a game developer myself, really. What language did you use to program it? I'm assuming something along the lines of Java, or one of the C derivatives? I had assumed you did it yourself, as engines generally don't provide that type of flexibility. I'll definitely have to check this out.


Thanks! Good to find another game developer here. I have lots of software experience, but this is my first fully-playable game, so any advice is welcome. What type of games do you like (to develop)?

Island Forge is all Java (with no dependencies beyond the JRE). It's a lot of work, but I'm pleased to be at the point I am, and I just hope I can find enough people who are interested to get it off the ground, so I can continue to improve it (and make other games). I've wanted to create an MMORPG since before RPGs were MMO, and I'm excited every time I see a new player in the world.

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:48 pm
Nyhm wrote:
Nean wrote:
That's awesome! I'm a bit of a game developer myself, really. What language did you use to program it? I'm assuming something along the lines of Java, or one of the C derivatives? I had assumed you did it yourself, as engines generally don't provide that type of flexibility. I'll definitely have to check this out.


Thanks! Good to find another game developer here. I have lots of software experience, but this is my first fully-playable game, so any advice is welcome. What type of games do you like (to develop)?

Island Forge is all Java (with no dependencies beyond the JRE). It's a lot of work, but I'm pleased to be at the point I am, and I just hope I can find enough people who are interested to get it off the ground, so I can continue to improve it (and make other games). I've wanted to create an MMORPG since before RPGs were MMO, and I'm excited every time I see a new player in the world.


I mostly tend to stick with 2d retro games myself, with a text based game here and there. Typically ORPGs though (Online Role Playing Game). Most of my experience with game design is with Visual Basic 6 (Yuck, I know), and for a lot of the time I was using an engine as a base, until the end when I started (and never finished) my own RPG engine. After I ditched VB6 for something a bit more reliable, and a bit less outdated I moved onto teaching myself C++, but I have put that on hold because I"m taking the college course next fall. I'm also in the process of learning Java in Java CSCI_111 for my Computer Science degree and currently taking an Advanced Web Design course, other than that I have only previously taken Client Side Programming with Javascript. I'm far from being able to make my own 3D MMO, as you have seemed to manage to do, but I'm getting there. :D

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:22 pm
Sounds like a good set of courses. C & C++ are solid languages to learn as a basis for understanding the foundation of programming languages, and they're still prominent in industry. Once you become familiar with C++, then you can really start to appreciate the benefits of a more modern language, like Java. That's just my opinion, of course, and Java has its own pitfalls, to be sure.

Just to clarify: Island Forge is decidedly old-school 2D (hurray). The avatars and creatures and such were developed as 3D models (not by me), but everything is rendered as frames of animation (sprites, really).

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 am
I'm seeking more players to try Island Forge (beta). Can anyone here recommend other forums where folks might enjoy creating islands & stories? Recommendations (and player) most appreciated!

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm
Update released today (Island Forge Beta v0.9.8.4) with several usability enhancements (including better friend controls), some bug fixes, and one gameplay/rule change. Details one the player forum. If you check it out, please let me know!

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm
More shameless site promotion: I spent some time streamlining http://islandforge.com today. Check out the new video introduction (on the home page).

You can still play free during beta, but now you can opt to Subscribe to help support this indie game.

Thanks for your interest.

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 am
Posts: 25
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Island Forge (indie MMORPG, Player-Created Content) • Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 am
Here is the latest news:

Island Forge is now listed on mmorpg.com's massive Game List. We're excited to have lots of new signups (and you can still Subscribe During Beta for a special offer). If you haven't seen the YouTube video, please have a look. Island Forge is all about player-created content, and there are several new player-created islands to explore (see the online Atlas).

I like it here, and I'd like to hear what others think of Island Forge. Please stop by and offer a quick hello!

_________________
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!


Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.